Have you heard of the Ketogentic diet? My husband and I subscribe to this type of lifestyle…
*this blog isn’t a weight loss blog, but one where I share our life and what works for us a family. This is just one part of our lives…and I hope you learn something from it!
So…… Ketogenic Diet (keto), what is it you are wondering?
A keto diet is a very low-carb diet, which turns the body into a fat-burning machine. It has many potential benefits for , health and performance, but also some potential initial side effects.
A ketogenic diet is similar to other strict low-carb diets, like the Atkins diet or LCHF (low carb, high fat). These diets often end up being ketogenic more or less by accident. The main difference between strict LCHF and keto is that protein is restricted in the latter.
A keto diet is designed specifically to result in ketosis. It’s possible to measure and adapt to reach optimal ketone levels for health, weight loss, or for physical and mental performance. Below, you can learn how to use keto to achieve your personal goals.
As a family of 6, this definitely isn’t for everyone in our home….let’s be honest, getting 4 kids onto a no-pasta diet, really isn’t going to happen.
And honestly, I don’t do this 100% of the time, but I can say that I am about 90% Keto.
Some tips as a busy mom to stay healthy:
- Keep it simple. I don’t have time to make elaborate meals with fancy ingredients, or even multiple ingredients. Stick with the basics. Remember…I am cooking for 6.
- Make large batches! Left overs are key. I don’t want to be spending hours slaving away in the kitchen when I have pools to swim in, hikes to take, or beaches to explore during the summer.
- PLAN! PLAN! PLAN! I find that if I am flying by the seat of my pants each day, I fail. So sitting down and meal planning helps me stay on track and even saves me multiple trips to the store because I am making something at the last minute.
- Don’t re-invent the wheel….learn from others! I have found some great recipes on Pinterest check out my Keto Board for ideas…
- Be consistent. And make small changes at a time. This isn’t a diet for us, it is a lifestyle. I found that when I make a drastic change in my life I am less apt to keep it going. But when i make small changes a little at a time, they tend to stick and I am more successful.
Finally, make friends! Accountability is your best bet! My husband and I do this together…so it makes eating together and meals so much easier! I am also a part of a few Facebook groups that help keep me accountable and help with great ideas!
Here are some great resources to start with:
Our favorite aide in obtaining Ketosis:
*this post contains affiliate links….please share and enjoy!